Sunday 19 August 2012

'I Beat Anorexia' Shirts

I was at the beach a few days ago looking at the funny t-shirts. You know the ones like, 'I'm with stupid' or 'Its good to be the king'. That is when I saw this shirt:
Immediately I was outraged. This shirt was obviously a joke and I respect that but it is promoting an eating disorder as nothing serious and as a joke. Eating disorders are not a joke, they are a matter of life and death. 20% of anorexics will die of complications to the illness while only 40% truly recover. Things like this are why there is so much prejudice.


When I came home I decided to do a little bit of research. I searched up 'I Beat Anorexia' and this is what I found:

As you can see, the man wearing the shirt is relatively large (the nice way of saying he is obese). This either means that people who do beat anorexia have to be the exact opposite, obese or that eating disorders do not have to be taken seriously.

It might be funny if you wear it to the movies but if you meet an anorexic with that shirt on... all I can say is good luck.

So that basically concludes my short rant of the day. Oh and a quick life update, I got twitter. Here is the link. Please follow me! I sound desperate now...

Anyways,

Stay Strong

James

No comments:

Post a Comment